Fwd: Re: AWIS: what's it all about?

Joy Frestedt frest001 at MAROON.TC.UMN.EDU
Wed Mar 6 10:32:53 EST 1996

Hey, don't start your own AWIS chapter in Madison, join GWIS - already in
Madison, very active, good meetings for networking, lots of fellowship
funding, and great people to share the work with you!  [Denise Ingram is
the chapter president at cingram at facstaff.wisc.edu]  Let's work together
as women in science and be supportive of each other.  We are all so very
busy and usually go through these volunteer things essentially
unrewarded.  Let's make some changes, but reinventing the wheel isn't
particularly helpful.  So, to be fair, if you are in Duluth, MN then join
AWIS and don't try to start a GWIS chapter all by yourself - the AWIS
group in Duluth is active, working hard, and trying to survive with a very
limited number of willing volunteers.

Finally, if you have ideas and you can't get the GWIS Wisconsin chapter
(or any other chapter) to work with you, then write to me or call - I'll
definitely light some fires and try to help you get what you need!

Joy Frestedt, President Elect
Sigma Delta Epsilon/Graduate Women in Science

----- Forwarded message begins here -----
From: SEstey  <sestey at aol.com>
To: womenbio at net.bio.net
Date: 5 Mar 1996 11:26:21 -0500
Subject: Re: AWIS:  what's it all about?
AWIS local chapters vary tremendously in their level of activity (based on
my experience in the San Francisco Bay area and in north Florida). They
are consistent in having members who are interested and active in science
both in academia and industry. My recent experience on returning to the
Bay area is that communication from national AWIS to local AWIS chapters
is very slow and inefficient. This is probably due to busy volunteers who
have more in their lives than AWIS and work. Your best bet is to contact
the local chapters closest to you, and their addresses are inside the
front cover of the glossy national publication.

But now that I look at the list, I see NOTHING in Wisconsin. Hard to
imagine that Madison has nothing!! Are you up to starting your very own
chapter??
Sue J. Estey
------ Forwarded message ends here ------

Joy L Frestedt, PhD candidate