PC

Coscolluela Eileene ecoscoll at ux7.cso.uiuc.edu
Wed Mar 6 10:12:07 EST 1996

Ms. S.J. Rickard (srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk) wrote:
: Being over PC can be as harmful as not being PC at all, as it can
: alienate people who might otherwise support a non prejudicial point of
: view. A friend of mine recently went to Berkley University in California
: for a year as part of her British degree. She's gay and was active in the
: Sheffield University LGB (we're not into that transgendered thing yet, thank
: god!)

	Just out of curiosity, what does "we're not into that
	trangendered thing yet, thank god!" mean?  SPECTRUM (the gay,
	lesbian, bisexual, and transgendered concerns organization
	on our campus) only realized their exclusion of transgendered
	issues about a year ago and changed their name accordingly.
	Many gays, lesbians, bisexuals, and heterosexuals have the ability
	to fall under the transgendered category.  Many of my friends are
	very androgynous and transgenderism deals with breaking such
	sex-related barriers.

	If one was in charge of an "only woman" space and a man entered
	but he was a pre-op transexual, how does one deal with the issue?
	Transgenderism addresses such stuff.

	Eileene Coscolluela	       |"All our science, measured against
       University of Illinois	       | reality, is primitive and childlike --
     ecoscoll at students.uiuc.edu        | and yet it is the most precious thing
http://www.students.uiuc.edu/~ecoscoll/| we have."  --Albert Einstein