PC

Ms. S.J. Rickard srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Mar 7 05:13:13 EST 1996

Not that this has anything to do with biology but...........in reply to a
question about my comment "we're not into the transgendered thing yet,
thank god" I would like to elaborate on my meaning. As an active member
of the Sheffield University LGB and a member of the gay community I
personally (and
most other gay people here) feel that issues surrounding gender and being
transgendered etc are not necessarily part of the gay "cause". Whilst
TVs, transexuals etc have my support in order to be able to do whatever
they want and have equal rights, I don't regard them as part of the gay
community. What they are fighting for is to do with gender reassignment,
what I am fighting for concerns sexuality. Of course many TVs and
transexuals are gay e.g. male to female transsexual who goes out with
women and is therefore a lesbian. I am willing to embrace them on grounds
of their sexuality (i.e. lesbian), but do not see them as "one of us" on
the basis of solely their gender reassignment. For example if a man
changes to a woman and goes out with men then "she" is heterosexual and
not part of the gay community. Perhaps Americans regard this as not very
PC, but it is a widely held view here. The gay community has a hard
enough time fighting for rights concerning sexuality and I don't think it
has the time or resources to fight what I percieve to be "someone elses
corner". I do think that the gay community should give advice and
experience to the transgender cause so that they can set up a movement
and fight their own battle.
Now flame me!!!
Sarah