PC

Gert Jan Gast gjgast at nioz.nl
Thu Mar 7 12:21:31 EST 1996

ecoscoll at ux7.cso.uiuc.edu (Coscolluela Eileene) wrote:

>	I think that transgenderism,

Sorry, but again this non-english speaking person is a little at
a loss here. Could anybody please explain what is covered by this
term and when it's used?

 atleast on this campus, is an issue
>	that many MANY people do not know much about... and it deals with
>	breaking stereotypes and wrong preconceptions just like the
>	lesbian and gay community.  Transgenderism isn't just a "gender"
>	issue.  It talks about breaking down the roles of what a man
>	and what a woman is.  What defines feminity?  Is this an attribute
>	only given to women or can a man be feminine as well?

I regard all of us as humans in the first place (or apes from
genetical and sometimes ethological points of view). There is a
wide range of characteristics or traits in humans. Some of those
are (genetically or culturally) more developed and prominent in
women, others more in man. The former are generally called
"feminine", the latter "masculine". However, this being
generalisations, women are not restricted to feminine traits nor
are man to masculine ones. I guess none of you will have to think
about exeptions to this general rule. Actually, we all are. If we
want to, we can develop the "other side" in us and become more
complete humans. So, yes, man can be feminine as well, but to a
different extend and in combination with their "masculinity".
It's not a binomal thing of being the one or the other, but
having a combination of different qualities with equal value
developed in various degrees.

What
>	kind of assumptions are made when someone is overtly "feminine"?
>	Many people don't realize how biased they are in these respects.
>	Or how greatly offensive they are being.

The problem is that not all traits are regarded as equal and that
both men and women are expected to live up to the category
they're placed in. Instead of nuturing assumptions & biases, and
hurting others with a different set of qualities, people did
better listen to those others, accept the differences and see if
there's something to be learned. If they d'not: teach them!

I guess I'm preaching to the wrong crowd here, but anyway my two
cents.

Warm wishes, GJ

--

Gert Jan Gast <gjgast at NIOZ.NL>