PC

Ms. S.J. Rickard srickard at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Fri Mar 8 06:48:53 EST 1996

With regards to an ongoing discussion about lesbian, gay, transexual
issues etc (sorry to bore people!) I would like to respond again.
Having straight people involved in the fight for lesbain, gay and
bisexual rights is essential if not critical to their success. You cannot
entirely break the system from the outside, it is often easier if you
have help form the inside. I hope more straight people will realise the
injustices that the gay community have endured and also realise that we
don't want special rights (as seems to be quoted by the right wing of
America)...we want EQUAL rights. Convincing the majority of the
population of this is vital if we are to succeed in our quest for
acceptance. I have often found women to be more receptive to these
argumants as they themselves have to deal with prejudice (sexism) and
are often more compassionate...that's not to say women are not homophobic.
As to the issues surrounding transgendered peoples rights, although we
have alot in common in what we are fighting for..we have many differences
and I fail to see why we should all be "lumped" together. There is no
more reason to lump transgendered people together with gay people as
there is to connect us with black people or disabled people etc. We all
fight for the same goal, but are fundamentally different.
Phew!!!!
Back to the science!!!!
Sarah