Ms.

Linnea Ista lkista at UNM.EDU
Fri Mar 8 17:38:08 EST 1996

A funny aside on this subject.  Last night we received a call from some
telemarketer.  They asked for Mr. or Mrs. Briggs (my fiance's last name).
I said there was no Mrs. Briggs here and handed the phone to Scott.
After he hung up, I wondered how we were going to handle it when we were
married because I am not changing my name.  All of a sudden Scott,
who is usually very aware of these  things (he's the one with the more
radical bumper stickers, after all), looked at me and said "Oh my god,
you are never going to be Mrs. Briggs. I just realized that".  I asked
him if it bothered him. He said no, but that he had never considered it
before. I then gently pointed out that this was the whole point of using
Ms.: no one knows if you are married or not, just like for him.  He said
he had never considered that married women used Ms. too!  Evidently he
never looked at letters from my mom!

Have a good weekend!
Linnea