are you the secretary?

Dianna L. Bourke dlb17 at PSU.EDU
Sun Mar 10 17:03:09 EST 1996

>Ok, this may be tangential to this thread, but in my experience
>(only one high school, granted) the vast majority of high school
>teachers of either sex did not have Ph.D.s.  Matter of fact,
>I don't think any of my high school teachers had anything beyond
>a B.A. or B.Sc. and a B.Ed.  My fiance had a high school biology
>teacher with a Ph.D., but it was in astronomy.  Go figure.
>
>Do you know if your students call their male profs Mr. _____ ?
>
>- Hannah

Hannah asked whether male professors had the same problem with students not
addressing them as doctor. After asking a few of my male colleagues about
this, it turns out that they have the same problem, at least initally, but
it dosen't seem to last as long in some cases. Seems we just have to get
more Ph.D.s into the high schools (which is highly likely considering the
college level job situation or lack thereof!).

This leads me to ask the group another question: Do you think high school
science teachers should have an advanced degree in science education or in
the specific science they want to teach (with the appropriate educational
credits and certification of course)?  I personally feel that having the
science degree in a specific discipline is a better idea. What do you
think?

Dianna

Dianna L. Bourke
Penn State Hazleton