Scarring (HELP)

Megan megan at ucla.edu
Sun Mar 10 14:30:19 EST 1996

Dear Jim,

I am sorry to hear about your daughters accident, and i hope she is otherwise alright.   I dont
have any specific suggestions regarding minimizing the scarring she may have, but I was bitten by
a German Shepherd when I was seven and required 19 stiches on my cheek.  The good news is that
your daughter is very young and her skin will stretch quite a bit.  My scar, which was in the
middle of my cheek, is now at the jawline and almost unnoticable.  I think the key is to get it
stitched up well at the time of the accident - the ER doctor who stitched me up spent quite a
while and did a great job.  There is also the option of plastic surgery if it seems that the
scarring will be noticable or extensive.  I did not choose to have plastic surgery just because I
am not bothered by the scar, but my parents offered it about 3 years after the bite occurred.
Good Luck and I hope everything works out!!