obsenities/offense

Irene Chen ichen at HUSC.HARVARD.EDU
Mon Mar 11 00:15:55 EST 1996

Hi all,

On 11 Mar 1996, aloisia schmid wrote:

>          So i guess that is what I am asking.  What exactly are the
> responsibilities of women engaged in science in improving the status of
> Woemn
> Engaged in Science?  Are we required to work to improve things?  Do we
> abrogate our duty in choosing not to?  Have we come far enough now to have
> that luxury?

Although the search for equality has come a long way, it's certainly not
finished yet. There's still a gross imbalance, 72 cents for the dollar and
everything, and I don't think we can afford to be complacent about it at
this point. Although I will respect a person's right to refuse to support
women's equality, it seems counterproductive and regressive for the entire
society. It's not just a women in science issue, it's about basic equal
opportunity, something that everyone ought to care about. I really hope
that people don't stop working to improve things or to offer constructive
criticism of the existing system; otherwise how will our society as a
whole move forward?

thanks for reading the rhetoric,
Irene Chen
Harvard U. undergrad