lab chemicals and conception

Andrea Crampton s316741 at student.uq.edu.au
Mon Mar 11 03:05:29 EST 1996

Hi!
	whilst i know of no relavent publications on chemicals and conception
specifically......the MSDS'S (material sadety and data sheets) for any
chemical often give enough info to make a decision as to how safe a
chemical is for someone concerned with conception or who may be
pregnant........The warning  "may cause heritable genetic defects" ,
and warnings which hint at the possibility that exposure can affect
the chance of carrying a child to term..........Always make me think
twice and ask all the females  in the lab if they are pregnant or
trying to become so (to be fair for some chemicals i do inform the
guys if there is any risk), I think that if such chemicals can be
avoided then yeah stay well clear but often they cannot and in such
cases i don't think you should stop work but take all the necessary
precautions and then sum...A lab that has high health and safety
standards should mean minimum risk.

	so i guess it comes down to taking no chances i.e. taking precautions
whith the handling of such substances and urging your co-workers to do
the same

Andrea