Advice, please

DAWN C. GORDON I7BF at UNB.CA
Mon Mar 11 10:49:48 EST 1996

  I think the matter should be brought to the attention of the
chairperson; once there is an official record of the incident,
unfair treatment in subsequent coursework may be dealt with in light
of official records.  Such a person should not be allowed to go on
with that attitude.  The undergraduate student may experience some
flak from the offending prof and others, but it sounds as if she has
strong convictions.  It will be worth it to call attention to the
prof's attitude and it may even bring about changes in the behaviour
of others.
    Good luck, DAWN
P.S.  Each wave of first year students that deals with a certain
prof at my old University approaches the Dean and writes official
compliaints about the man's behaviour (sexist, unfair to males and
females, arbitrary marking,...).  As far as I know he is still
teaching there and holds tenure.  Does tenure cause problems like
this to be essentially insoluble???