Advice, please

Sarah L. Pallas spallas at bcm.tmc.edu
Tue Mar 12 14:01:42 EST 1996

In article <11MAR96.12776585.0261 at UNBVM1.CSD.UNB.CA> DAWN C. GORDON,
I7BF at UNB.CA writes:

>P.S.  Each wave of first year students that deals with a certain
>prof at my old University approaches the Dean and writes official
>compliaints about the man's behaviour ....  As far as I know he is still
>teaching there and holds tenure.  Does tenure cause problems like
>this to be essentially insoluble???

If your university has a written policy on sexual harassment (or other
types of discriminatory behavior) and it states that people can be
punished for harassment, tenure poses no barrier to firing the person.
However, universities are generally loathe to actually enforce harassment
policies;  more often you have to sue in civil court to get their
attention.

Sarah Pallas