dog bites

Erica Greene erica at bgumail.bgu.ac.il
Wed Mar 13 06:27:18 EST 1996

Just wanted to comment:
Dog bites - The original post had quite a few typos in it.  A number of
people responded sarcastically to these typos.  I find myself offended by
that.  As this is a worldwide network, it is logical that there will be
posts from people who did not grow up in English speaking countries.
Should we request that these people not participate unless they are
interested in being ridiculed?  Or perhaps, that they consult a certified
translator prior to posting?  As an American living in a non-English
country, I was always surprised when my fellow students showed jealousy
at the fact that I could spend half of the time with textbooks and
research material as I didn't have to translate first.  Now I am
beginning to understand why.  I know that some of my fellow grad
students are wary of using the net precisely because they are intimidated
by its all-English forum (even though many speak English quite well,
writing is a bit more intimidating).    I truly hope (especially as
cultural differences has been a hot topic lately) that our intent is not
to discourage people from using the net.  Let's be a little more tolerant.

Erica Greene
Ben-Gurion Univ. of the Negev
Beersheva Israel