Nobel Prize Women in Science, the book

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at cog.nimh.nih.gov
Thu Mar 14 09:29:43 EST 1996

Karen Allendoerfer (ravena at cco.caltech.edu) wrote:

[stuff removed]

: There is a T-shirt that reads something like, first they came for the
: communists, but I didn't speak up, because I wasn't a communist, then they
: came for  . . . but I didn't speak up because I wasn't a . . . then they
: came for me, and there was no one left to speak up for me.  I feel a
: responsibility to speak up for women, because if I don't, who will?

I just wanted to post the origin of this quote -- since it's not a
t-shirt.

     "In Germany, they came for the communists, and I didn't speak up
     because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I
     didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the
     trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a
     trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I
     didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they
     came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."

		         Pastor Martin Niemoeller

(The quote might not be exactly right, and after all, it must be
a translation from German)

I do agree with the quote's relevance. Even applying the most selfish
standards, it's not possible to just avoid all the battles.
Eventually there is one that you are going to have to fight for
yourself, and that's easier if you've been fighting for the
principle all along.

Bharathi Jagadeesh/bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov

Lab of Neuropsychology
NIMH