Nobel Prize Women in Science, the book

Karen Allendoerfer ravena at cco.caltech.edu
Fri Mar 15 16:25:06 EST 1996

In article <1996Mar14.142943.25169 at alw.nih.gov>,
Bharathi Jagadeesh <bjag at cog.nimh.nih.gov> wrote:

>I just wanted to post the origin of this quote -- since it's not a
>t-shirt.
>

>     "In Germany, they came for the communists, and I didn't speak up
>     because I wasn't a communist. Then they came for the Jews, and I
>     didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew. Then they came for the
>     trade unionists, and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a
>     trade unionist. Then they came for the Catholics, and I
>     didn't speak up because I was a Protestant. Then they
>     came for me, and by that time no one was left to speak up."
>
>		         Pastor Martin Niemoeller
>
>(The quote might not be exactly right, and after all, it must be
>a translation from German)

Dear Dr. Jagadeesh,

Thank you for providing the complete quote and the attribution.  It IS
on a T-shirt, available from Northern Sun, a mail order catalog that
has a number of thought-provoking quotes on T-shirts  and posters
(attributed properly, too).  Sorry I didn't take the time to look it
up carefully.

Karen