high school teachers

Ellen M Klann emklann at titan.oit.umass.edu
Fri Mar 15 17:41:27 EST 1996

I hope I never see the day when high school science teachers need an
advanced degree.  This is crazy!  Why should some do several years past
college to teach basic science?  Certainly everything a high school
student needs to know can be taught by a college graduate who stayed
awake in class.  To improve the level of high school teaching prehaps we
should pay the teachers more to attract good people,  and then monitor
the classes and demand that the teachers keep up to date on science.  All
they really need to do is read the textbook.  I think the major problem
arises from teachers who went to college in the 1960's and haven't made
the effort to keep up with the times.  Unlike all of the other subjects
taught in high school, science is always moving on so you just can't
teach the same course for 40 years.  What a wonderful job teaching
science could be for all the college biology majors who don't have the
foggiest notion what to do with their degree.

Ellen