considering my options...

SL Forsburg susan_forsburg at qm.salk.edu
Sat Mar 16 13:27:18 EST 1996

russell russell wrote:

>......stuff deleted......
> i would like to get my ph.d. (at another
> school) and continue doing research (probably at a university).
> .....stuff deleted.......
>  anyway, here's where the problem is: i'm really beginning to feel
> like i need to take some time off. i think that if i do go straight
> for my ph.d., i'll burn out halfway through.
.....stuff deleted.....

A lot of entering PhD students have spent some time away
from school.  Many of them have worked as technicians to see if they
really want to do research, but others have done other real-world
things.  I don't personally view that as a negative and I don't think
the admissions committees do.  After all, if someone has done other
things for a bit before applying to grad school, she has probably
 thought about it and is applying for the right reasons.  And
grad school is tough, no question, so those extra years of maturity
can't hurt.

Besides, once you do embark on grad school-post doc track, it is
much harder to take time off without getting those funny looks and
questions about commitment.  If you are going to do it, do it
now.  And best of luck to you.

susan

--
S L Forsburg