considering my options...

dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL
Mon Mar 18 11:21:06 EST 1996

     Amy Russell (arussel at bgnet.bgsu.edu) wrote:

     (snip)
     >... i'm thinking about joining the peace corps after i finish my
     >master's. ... so i guess my question is, how are others in the field
     >of academia going to react to this? will i be viewed as being not
     >dedicated? will this make me somewhat of a pariah in the field of
     >grad program applicants?
     (snip)

     I agree with everything that Susan Forsburg said in her post and would
     like to comment on my own personal experience.  I took 2 years off
     after receiving my B.S. to work as a technician.  I already knew that
     I wanted to go on to grad school, but felt that I was just not ready
     at that time.  I have never regretted this decision.  During the
     application process no one ever even questioned the break in my
     academic progress.  In addition, I was much better prepared for grad
     school when I got there and had a firmer grasp of why I was there and
     what I wanted to achieve.  Two years is, in my opinion, a good break.
     Much longer than that and it becomes increasingly difficult to get
     back into the academic grind.

     Best wishes,
     Margaret