high school teachers

Drmarts drmarts at aol.com
Mon Mar 18 13:23:05 EST 1996

I would have seriously considered teaching high school after finishing my
Ph.D., but for two things: 1. having to get up bloody early in the
morning; and 2. having to deal with public school administrators.

My mother taught high school English for 20 years, and one of my closest
friends taught high school English for 10 years. I watched both of them
struggle with both of these.  Objection #1 is purely personal - I'm not a
morning person, so having to get up at 5:30 to be at work by 7:30 a.m.
looks like torture to  me. Objection #2 is more serious a problem - the
Peter Principle seems to rule in public school systems.

Sherry