teaching and humanities

Galloway Cynthia M kfcmg00 at TAMUK.EDU
Mon Mar 18 10:29:41 EST 1996

Hi,

Just wanted to put in my two cents worth about teaching at the high
school level.  I just judged the local high school science fair where
most of the students were in the honors biology class taught by the
football coach.  They did not know the first thing about the scientific
method, even though they had all the right headings.  One student even
had her abstract under conclusions and most of the students could not
tell us what they had found out without reading their conclusions off of
their poster board.  When we covered up their conclusions and asked them
what they had found out they couldn't say anything.  When they did
have data they did not know what it showed or how to analysize what they
had obtained.  It would just be nice if teachers were allowed to teached
what they had been educated to do. (ie, football, biology, algebra, etc.).

Cyndy

P.S.  They also didn't know that data could be averaged if they did do
replicas.
 --
Dr. Cynthia M. Galloway
Associate Professor