considering my options...

aloisia schmid a-schmi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Mon Mar 18 21:58:13 EST 1996

In article <4idmm8$7iu at infoserver.bgsu.edu>, arussel at bgnet.bgsu.edu
(russell russell) wrote:

> hello all!
>
>         i have been lurking here for several months now. i am approaching
> somewhat of a crossroad in my life and wondered if i could gather some
> outside opinions and advice.
>
>         i'm currently working on my m.s. in drosophila genetics at bowling
> green state university (in ohio, not kentucky), expecting to graduate in
> december. that will make it 6.5 years here at bgsu, since i did my
> undergrad work here, too. i would like to get my ph.d. (at another
> school) and continue doing research (probably at a university since i'm
> really getting interested in population genetics and most private sector
> companies don't pay for research in evolutionary theory).
>
>         anyway, here's where the problem is: i'm really beginning to feel
> like i need to take some time off. i think that if i do go straight on
> for my ph.d., i'll burn out halfway through. i'm thinking about joining the
> peace corps after i finish my master's. i have a b.s. in environmental
science
> (in addition to bio) and i've been teaching for 2 years as a t.a.; i
> don't think getting into the peace corps would be a problem. the
> commitment would be 2 years, giving me some time to regroup and refocus
> and yet still a definite ending date to say "now i need to get back into
> school-mode".
>
>         so i guess my question is, how are others in the field of
> academia going to react to this? will i be viewed as being not dedicated?
> will this make me somewhat of a pariah in the field of grad program
> applicants? i know many of you out there are running your own lab; how
> would you react to someone contacting you about a position in your lab
> when  either (a) she had just come back from a 2 year break doing a
> service project like that, or (b) she wanted to work with you after she
> got back (i.e. contacting you before she left). would that affect your
> decision to accept her into your lab? positively or negatively? would you
> prefer to have the relationship and some kind of verbal agreement
> about her joining your lab set up before she left?
>
>         i haven't talked to my advisor about these ideas yet. how he'll
> react to the whole thing is kind of like chaos theory: completely
> unpredictable. i really want to have my thinking about this worked out
> before i go to him about it; i'm trying to get as many points of view
> about it as i can to help me. i'd appreciate any comments or stories
> anyone might have. although this group seems to be really supportive of
> each other, i'm not looking only for supportive comments (a few would be
> nice, though! ;) ) if you think i'll just be shooting myself in the foot
> with this please tell me!
>
> thanks!
>
> amy
> --
> our love is like my parents' love        |  Amy L. Russell
> except                                   |  Bowling Green State University
> [...]

I can't believe you actually think this would be a problem!  I think most
people would actually look more askance at the master's degree and would
wonder why you didn't just start a PhD right away.  Not that there is
anything wrong with getting a master's degree--far from i t.  i am jsut
telling you what perceptions and mis-perceptions might be.

however, from what I have heard, it is down-right tough to get into the
peace corps and only one out of ten people is accepted.  So I would also
consider other service projects as well, if you feel like that is what you
need right now.  But really, i cannot imagine anyone giving you a hard
time about this.  And if they did---do your eally want to work with
someone like that?

Alice Schmid

--
Aloisia Schmid
Howard Huges Medical Institute/Morrill Hall
Email: A-schmi at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu