high school teachers

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Wed Mar 20 16:40:55 EST 1996

>To:            womenbio at net.bio.net
>From:          maryp at teosinte.agron.missouri.edu (Mary Polacco)
>Subject:       Re: high school teachers
>Date:          20 Mar 1996 12:47:06 -0800
>
>In the US, a masters is almost de rigeur for high school teaching.
>PhD's often get hired by the better
>school districts, at least that has happened in Columbia, MO
>for at least one PhD tired of the hovering-in-place postdoc route.

Maybe true now, in mIssouri, but I think most of the people teaching
high school science DON'T have masters.  Here in Texas, I can't think of
any who do.  Back in Massachusetts, none of my high school teachers did
and in Vermont where my children attend a private academy because the
public high school is so abysmal, only 1 of the science teachers has a
masters degree, and it's not in science.  What do you base this on?

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at
Texas A&M University