considering my options...

Candace Krepel ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu
Thu Mar 21 11:18:20 EST 1996

: >don't think getting into the peace corps would be a problem. the
: >commitment would be 2 years, giving me some time to regroup and refocus
: >and yet still a definite ending date to say "now i need to get back into
: >school-mode".

Amy -

As both a student and a teacher, I know that "non-traditional" students are
generally more focussed than those who go from kindergarten straight thru
PhD. I returned to school for my master's at age 38 when the yougest of my 3
children was 2 1/2. Yes, I know that I had to be focussed!

I am an ad hoc at a small college nearby, and have found that the older
students who have returned to school after some period of time, are much
better students. They really know exactly what they want, why, and how to
get it. I suspect that my perceptions are shared by others in academia. Join
the Peace Corps; learn everything you can. You will be a better *person* for
it. That can only be good for whatever you choose to do later.

Candy Krepel
Surgical Microbiology Research Lab, Medical College of Wisconsin
ckrepel at post.its.mcw.edu