Motivating girls to do science

Peggy Barr mcb10 at cornell.edu
Mon Mar 25 08:55:15 EST 1996

In article <4j4esn$m0g at netserv.unmc.edu>, dmlepley at netserv.unmc.edu
(Denise Lepley) wrote:

> I agree with all the replies to this post thus far in that teachers and
> mentors play a large part in motivating girls and young women to choose
> science as their career.  However, the question, in my opinion, is should
> we be encouraging anybody male or female to enter the sciences now since
> there are far too many PhDs and other technical support (M.S., techs) for
> the number of available positions(in academia and industry)?  Of course I
> do love sharing my enthusiasm for science with children and young adults,
> but I would never encourage anyone to enter a field that was flooded
> unless they 1.) absolutely loved science, for example, with a passion,
> and 2.) knew exactly their chances for *advancement* in their career.

Just a quick comment on this - I agree that we don't want to encourage
anyone to enter a science career without understanding the opportunities
(or lack thereof) available.  However, increasing or nuturing the interest
of girls and young women in science can be very beneficial even if they
choose not to enter the sciences as a career (the same could be said of
boys as well).  I think that an education that stimulates exploration of
all fields could certainly help broaden the outlook of our children, who
will be the thinkers and leaders of the 21st century.

Peggy Barr