motivation and "career counseling"

Jennifer Potter jras at post.its.mcw.edu
Mon Mar 25 20:31:25 EST 1996

The grad students here at the Medical College of Wisconsin also were
raising some of the same concerns mentioned in the other posts regarding
their career options and other concerns.  Our administration (with the
help of the leaders of our Graduate Student Association) put together
lunch hour seminars/discussion forums on many topics:

-how to choose a post-doc (several departmental chairs moderated)
-how to write papers/get grants (again, one or two chairmen and/or
faculty members)
-alternate career paths including patent law, and working at a large vs.
small biotech company (moderated by people working in those areas from
the general vicinity)
-others on misc topics like ethics, etc.

and, my favorite, of course,
-women in science (moderated by several women faculty members and open
only to women)

This year this program is even being supported by a small grant from
Pharmacia...

I guess I want to say that my impression is that these forums are widely
attended by students, post-docs, and technicians, and are very useful.  I
was able to ask many questions and received answers from several points
of view.

I really don't think _that_ much can be involved in organizing them
(mostly coordinating schedules for the moderators) especially since our
administration did this (go figure).  I would highly recommend these
types of forums and would be glad to provide/find out more info on how
they were actually organized.  One caveat, of course, is that we are on
the smallish side, which may make things easier for us.  Regardless, I
have found that these forums are really valuable for finding out general
information and also for making contacts if your interests DO lie outside
the traditional academic sphere.

Regards,
Jennifer Potter
jras at post.its.mcw.edu