Motivating girls to do science

Veronica I. Arreola varreo1 at uic.edu
Tue Mar 26 15:57:55 EST 1996

Sarah,

	I'm glad to hear that you are going into teaching. As for motivating
girls in science. I personally have always loved science, although I
dreaded my science classes. I always thought that they were dumb because
we always did the same experiments every year with the same results. I
knew deep down that there had to much better things to do in a lab than
chop up frogs to see their insides and then throw them away.

	I guess I would have to say that the best way to get girls motivated
would be to make sure that they are soing the work. Don't let the boys
dominate class, this can be said about any class too. Allow the girls to
be leaders of lab, class, and discussion. Talk about the new stuff in
biology, chemistry, etc. Motivate by example. It's a much more exciting
class if you devote 10 minutes a week to updating your students on
what's happening in science. But don't blow them away with big ideas and
big words, that may discourage them. But show them that there's more out
there than what is in their text books.

Lastly, be there for the girls. As many have said before, mentors can be
the catalyst to a great career. Without one, I may not be where I am
today.

Good luck on the paper,

Veronica I. Arreola
Univeristy of Illinois - Chicago