Posts from Mr. Y. Chan

dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL dr._margaret_martens at FTDETRCK-CCMAIL.ARMY.MIL
Wed Mar 27 14:10:02 EST 1996

Megan, Julia and others,

I know I have said this before, but it seems worth repeating.  I have met Mr.
Chan before on other (non-science) newsgroups.  His reply here is typical of his
comments on those newsgroups - inflammatory, sexist, racist, homophobic, etc.  I
have seen him wreak havoc in those newsgroups and feel that the best response to
him is to ignore him.  Hopefully if he doesn't get the rise he is looking for he
will go away and play somewhere else.  He has certainly shown no signs of being
educable.

Margaret

Subject: Re: WOMEN & COMPUTING
Author:  megan at UCLA.EDU (Megan Igo) at Internet-Mail
Date:    3/26/96 14:34

(snipped portions)
I am a bit annoyed by the ignorance and blatant sexism demonstrated by Mr.
W.Y. Chan, if he is right, then no woman should be permitted to do science
in any field, because they have no determination, are not logical thinkers,
and are not versatile in the ability to perform scientific research.  Hmmm.
Maybe they shouldnt be permitted to vote either?  Or own land?  Just a
sarcastic thought.

Megan
Graduate Student
UCLA Department of Microbiology and Immunology
megan at ucla.edu