Women, Men, Science, and Communication

Marian mgc at usa.pipeline.com
Thu Mar 28 21:33:19 EST 1996

On Mar 28, 1996 13:36:50 in article <Re: Women, Men, Science, and
Communication>, 'linden at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU (Linden Higgins)' wrote:
>My friend is really worried about her abandoning the math in
>Because of the dyslexia, she may not be admitted to the magnet school
>where there would be less social pressure to leave the math & conform.
>They cannot afford private school, and the local public middle school has
>real problems.  She is already starting to feel some pressure - the other
>girls often think she is "wierd" and don't want to play with her
>Having had somewhat similar problems as a kid, when I liked to collect
>and snakes and frogs and never felt comfortable witht he other girls, yet
>always wanted to be liked, I wonder how these things can be counteracted.
>Being a supportive parent is necessary, but not sufficient (my parents
>always very supportive, but the constant teasing by classmates overwhelmed

>my parents - after all, they were "wierd" too).
To begin with your friend needs an advocate for her daughter.  Her daughter
is being descriminated against due to her dyslexia.  If this is a diagnosed
case, no public run school can officially knock her out of the running.
Second, I think the parents need to get her involved in after school
activities with other children that share her interests.  Where I live
there are lots of computer programs for children.  Check the local college
for mentors in what ever she is good at.  If it is outdoor activities, I
can think of 4H, scouts, etc.  It will always be hard for her at school,
but being involved with people after school will lessen the load.
Diana Praschnik