Career advice (was: Why I want to be a prof)

Julia Frugoli JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Tue May 7 10:05:42 EST 1996

>To:            womenbio at net.bio.net
>From:          rachelle at picard.niehs.nih.gov (Rachelle J. Bienstock)
>Subject:       Re: Career advice (was: Why I want to be a prof)
>Date:          Tue, 7 May 1996 13:16:36 GMT
>
>It is not the same in every field!  In no other field do people go to
>graduate school for 5+ years where they are treated like crap and then
>do 2-3 postdocs for 4-6 years where they make $20K a year and are again
>treated like crap and work long hours...To finally emerge at close to
>age 30 with very depressing job prospects
(SNIP)

I'm sorry, but I couldn't resist!  I'm almost 40 and still in grad
school (I had a few detours along the way).  I'd guess I should be even
more depressed! :).

Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at