Where is everyone?

Sabine Dippel sabine at hlrz24.zam.kfa-juelich.de
Fri Nov 15 05:48:42 EST 1996

With me, it's the same as with most posters - I also noticed that traffic in
this newsgroup was nearly nonexistent lately, but being drowning in work, I
did not care to post anything myself.

I also liked the idea of telling a bit about ourselves, although I think
that we already know a bit about the people "hanging out" here for a while.

Okay, so I am actually a bit of an outsider here. I am a physicist, working
in computational physics, more specifically on the flow of granular materials
(like sand, gravel, whatever you can think of) on rough inclines. I am working
on my PhD and am hoping to get it finished some time next summer. I ended up
in this newsgroup because it was the only "women in science" newsgroup I found
for a while and I really liked it (I have found others by now, but the only
other one I subscribed to was the "wiphys" list of the APS).

Anyway, I am also an outsider in the geographical respect, since most people
here seem to be from the US - I am german and working in Germany (and have done
so all my life so far).

At the moment, I am in the process of trying to decide what to do after my PhD.
I am one of those people who always wanted to stay in academia, but lately
wonder if that is really such a good idea, because I do not like the idea of
living on relatively badly paid insecure jobs for a long time to find out that
I can't find anything reasonably secure and reasonable well paid. So now I am
rethinking my goals, etc. I found, e.g. that besides liking teaching (which I
always did, but only at an advanced level, I admit - I would not like high
school teaching, I think), I enjoy organizing things, collaborating with people
all over Europe (and, very important, using my language skills - besides German
and English, I speak French fluently, and Italian reasonably well) - so I am
trying to find out where someone with a physics background and good communication
skills would be useful - except science writing, which you can't live on in
Germany, I think. I think I would like to go into scientific publishing, but there
are only very few jobs around here, well maybe in England, but so far I have not
figured out whether I want to live abroad for longer than 1 or 2 years. Well,
I guess I have to do some research on other possibilites, like international
organizations, especially in the European Union, but if anyone has suggestions
where to hunt for that sort of information, I would be very grateful.

Bye,

Sabine

| Sabine Dippel     | e-mail: s.dippel at kfa-juelich.de                 |
| HLRZ              | phone : [++49] (2461) 61-2318                   |
| KFA Juelich       | fax   : [++49] (2461) 61-2430                   |
| 52425 Juelich     | WWW   : http://www.hlrz.kfa-juelich.de/~sabine/ |
| Germany           |                                                 |