Where is everyone?

S L Forsburg forsburg at salk.edu
Fri Nov 15 21:10:34 EST 1996

WHere is everyone?  Well, they're writing grants, writing papers,
writing theses, taking exams, giving exams, doing experiments,
repeating experiments, interpreting experiments, teaching,  giving
presentations, designing clinical trials, developing new products,
giving seminars, reviewing papers, reviewing grants,travelling from
one to the other and trying to have a life besides.

Whew!

Sarah and Sabine both write about taking alternative careers to
the standard academic research track.  I hope we soon get beyond those
careers being thought of as alternative.  We no longer
ride in a little rut straight into academe now and I think that
can be a healthy thing. It's more uncertain, of course, but in
that is more like other professions.  Academic positions are not
automatic sinecures any more, but with a little luck and a lot of
hard work you CAN get them--if it's what you  want.

Anyway, good luck to Sarah (and  congratulations!)
and good luck to Sabine, have you considered looking for
positions dealing in science policy issues in the EC or in Germany?

If we're doing introductions (which is a nice way for the
new arrivals to get to know the regulars, so we should probably go
through this a couple of times a year),  I'll weigh in here.
I'm an assistant professor three years onto the tenure track
with a tiny lab at a research institute.  Life on the edge, and
not just because we're situated on a cliff over the Pacific.... :-)
Our research focuses on the regulation of DNA replication in the
mitotic and meiotic cell cycle in the fission yeast S. pombe;  you
can read more about us on our web page.

And, I agree with Julia, there is a piquant irony to see that it's Mr
Chan's  note sparking a return to our civil group's activity.  :-)

-- susan
Susan L Forsburg PhD
MBVL, The Salk Institute
forsburg at salk.edu