PMT/PMS

bb02 at Lehigh.EDU bb02 at Lehigh.EDU
Sat Nov 16 09:07:26 EST 1996

In article <E0r570.MBH.0.scott at cogsci.ed.ac.uk>, cati at cogsci.ed.ac.uk (Catherine
 Collin) writes:
>This is likely a very old question, but i've been female for some time
>now and still haven't figured it out:
>
>With respect to PMT/PMS:
>
>What is the hormone composition thought to be at this time?

Are you asking what the relative levels of estrogen and progesterone are
during the week or few days before menstruation?  I don't know in detail, but
the general plots of these things show a surge in progesterone which peaks at
day 21 (bleeding begins at day 28).  At the time that progesterone peaks,
estrogen has dropped to about half of the level of the estrogen peak at day
14.  Then progesterone declines as estrogen goes back up some but not as high
as on day 14 and then both decline to their lowest levels of the cycle by the
time menstruation begins.  They both stay fairly low until 7 days into the
next cycle.

>If it's the case that one hormone (oestrogen?) level is relatively
>low, what is the rate at which it can drop (maximum and minimum)?
>
>How can hormone levels be measured?
>
>Is there a relationship between these hormones and glucose?
>
>What d'you all think of these fluctuations in dendritic spine density
>over the oestrus cycle of rats?
>
>What d'you all think of PMT/PMS, with respect to your ability to think
>rationally?
>It's hard for me to respond to this question at this point in my life since
I'm perimenopausal.  I do think that the great hormonal disruptions that those
of us in this state (menopause)
experience affect much of our physiology, including that
of the nervous system.  So, why wouldn't they be affecting normal physiology
for those that are not menopausal.  And of course, all of us together exhibit
great ranges with respect to what is normal for us as individuals.

>(Ok, so that last one is a whole can of worms...)
>
>thanks
>
>cati

Barbara Benson