where is everyone/PhD and education

bb02 at Lehigh.EDU bb02 at Lehigh.EDU
Sat Nov 16 08:48:09 EST 1996

In article <Pine.A32.3.95.961114162034.28404B-100000 at homer27.u.washington.edu>,
Sarah Boomer <sarai at u.washington.edu> writes:
>Hi -
>
>       I agree - this group has been pretty darn quiet!  I, for one, have
>been in the final month before defending my PhD!  It's been a roller
>coaster right down to the bitter end - with one committee member taking my
>thesis apart and the others loving it.  Talk about a complex over what
>"scientific style is."  My oh my.  But I've appeased everyone and am set
>to go the 27th of November (Yipee)
>
>       I liked one of the poster's ideas about a names and interest
>discussion but I, for one, am a floater... when I finish, I don't have a
>job.  I decided over the last year that a post-doc wouldn't do anything
>for me because what I really love the most has always been teaching.  So -
>I am going back for my masters in education!  Anyone out there with a PhD
>done that?  In my local networking, I have found three people who have
>done it but I'm always looking for more stories.
>
>       As for where I came from and so on:  I fell in love with science
>in junior high (had a neat woman who - unbeknownst to me at the time -
>taught all this advanced DNA stuff) and have kept with it.  I made the
>for-better-or-worse decision of attending a small liberal arts college. At
>the time, I thought I would pursue medicine but my experience there lead
>me to aspire to want to be a professor.  I worked with an excellent woman
>boss and did a really neat research project and Honors thesis on novel hot
>spring bacteria from Yellowstone National Park.  The school, though,
>wasn't up on molecular techniques, something I yearned for ever since
>hearing about DNA in junior high.  I really wanted to do phylogenetic
>analysis on my "bugs" but there just wasn't the means.
>
>       So - with great encouragement from my boss, I went for my PhD,
>choosing UW Microbiology, most of which is quite
>molecular-biology-dominated.  I chose to work with a new woman studying
>AIDS-like viruses.  Part of it was her evolutionary bend;  part was the
>techniques I could FINALLY learn;  part, certainly, was the chance to
>continue working for a strong woman role model.  I struggled a fair bit
>here and there but my boss and I have always had an excellent
>relationship.  It's taken me seven years, which is a little longer than
>projected but I have been mostly satisfied with the successes I have had,
>the failures I have endured, and the flexibility and freedoms I have been
>allowed.
>
>       My job searching began two years ago when I started approaching
>people for post-docs.  I had about three regulars who lead me on and on
>and on, only to finally decide there was no money.  I wrote several dozen
>letters only to have a few people write back - and then it was always no
>money, no money.  Two years of this really broke my spirit and I simply
>became tired of playing this game - the game where you never get anything
>written down and PIs hedge and hedge and hedge.  I watched a few brilliant
> [...]
haul for a Ph.D. - I read with interest your long posting about your career to
date in science.  I expect a lot of us who derive pleasure from studying
biology have taken for granted that continued study through the Ph.D. is the
thing to do.  If we're good students and like the excitement of the research
too, why not.  But then what do we do when faced with a zillion applicants who
are trying for all the positions that we try for.

The crazy thing is that while we have studied too much science, the members of
our society as a whole are not understanding science enough.  Supposedly,
scientific illiterates abound.

So I wish you great success.  Perhaps you can attend to the amelioration of
the problem of scientific illiteracy in general.

Barbara Benson
bb02 at lehigh.edu or bnbenson at cedarcrest.edu