PhD-flooding into alternative careers

Warren Gallin wgallin at gpu.srv.ualberta.ca
Tue Nov 19 12:04:09 EST 1996

In Article
<Pine.A32.3.95.961118223853.79339A-100000 at homer16.u.washington.edu>, "J.
Johnson" <siddo at u.washington.edu> wrote:

[material deleted]

>  I have to admit now, that it was one of the best decisions
>Iever made for myself and for my career.  It was difficult, as I
>necessarily had to overcome my advisor giving me a bad reference (which IS
>illegal) and much mental anguish associated with the entire experience.

[more material deleted]

If you don't mind, could you clarify this statement a bit?  If giving a bad
letter of reference is illegal, why ask for letters of reference?  Or are
you saying that the circumstances of your interaction with your supervisor
produced a situation in which the supervisor should not have been writing a
letter?

Thanks,

Warren Gallin
Department of Biological Sciences