bad "recommendation letters"

J. Johnson siddo at u.washington.edu
Sat Nov 23 02:53:20 EST 1996

On 21 Nov 1996, Charles wrote:
	 "It is your obligation (in my opinion)
> to give as candid and accurate a view of the student as you can relative
> to the position for which the individual is being considered.  I was not
> surprised to read that Jenn's advisor had given a positive
> recommendation for one position and a more negative one for another.  If
> the positions are different this can make good sense.">

Hello Charles,

For the record the positions I applied for were equivalent positions
(research associate) at two different biotech companies. The had nearly
identical job descriptions; I was offered both jobs in spite of the
bad reference to the one (and that is the one I took - that's how I found
out). Please read my original post and the posts to Warren Gallin and
Julia Frugoli. I am talking about exactly what you refer to as slander -
false misrepresentation.  So, to me and to my boss at the time, giving a
bad and good ref to different positions did not "make good sense."

Why do people find it so hard to believe that my advisor was wrong?  Or
that I was such a bad student that my advisor would have to lie to give me
a good refenerence/recommendation?  She gave me no indication she would do
this, in fact she said she'd welcome me back if I wanted to return to
school.  When he found out I was leaving the PhD program, another faculty
member said, "Why are you leaving?  You are one of our best students?"
I won't go into the details of why I left, but it was not mental and
technical incapacity. This is the blazing and unadulterated truth; the
reference/reccomendation she gave was slanderous and did not reflect my
skill and intellegence.  It happens and it's wrong.  I rest my case.

Jenn