language equity

Ellie Brown ebrown at i-2000.com
Sat Nov 23 22:42:34 EST 1996

Last week I attended a joint meeting of AWIS (Association for Women in
Science) and SWE (Society for Women Engineers) where the discussion topic
was Gender Equity in the Classroom.  One thread involved the perceived
meaning of words such as "mankind" or the generic pronoun "he".  The women
in this group were generally between 30 and 60 years old, and almost all
said that they had always felt included by these terms.  What we finally
agreed was the more relevant question is "How did the boys in our
elementary school classes view these terms?"

Does anyone here have any insight they would care to share?

Ellie Brown
ebrown at i-2000.com