Job prospects and Mr. Chan

Sabine Dippel sabine at hlrz28.zam.kfa-juelich.de
Mon Nov 25 05:45:49 EST 1996

In article <5750r6$5og at Masala.CC.UH.EDU>, celestem at transposon.bchs.uh.edu
(Celeste Moore) writes:

|> I think Sabine has done a great job of expressing the worry of looking at the
|> job market.  I have many of her same concerns.  And I appreciate her having the
|> nerve to post them,  that takes real guts.  I know what my skills are and
|> I have a general idea of what I am good at and like to do, but actually finding
|> a good job that fits isn't very easy.  I am very hopeful for my future, and for
|> hers too.  Sorry I don't have any info. on international organizations, but
|> Houston, Texas (where I am)  is a rather diverse place.  Let me know if you
|> want any information from this part of the world.
|>
|> Celeste

Thanks, Celeste.

I am surprised that I seem to have sounded sort of pessimistic. Actually, I am
very optimistic. (BTW, I know now where to get information on EU jobs.)

And now we know why Mr. Chan stirred activity in this newsgroup - he was bored
but not imaginative enough, so he needed some material for his spams.
Mr. Chan, since you will undoubtedly read this post: believe me, I do not see
my illusions shattered or anything, I just see a political development taking
place which drives science into a direction I do not like at all, and I am
getting out of this ALTHOUGH I am good at it, have the neccessary connections
and publications record. I would not do this if I did not see promising
alternatives.

By the way, I am just back from a seminar of the german physical society
on job prospects and opportunities for physicists, and am very surprised
that I felt like the most optimistic of all the people attending it. From
the talks given there by people working in industry, I even gathered that
this optimism is justified.

Sabine

| Sabine Dippel     | e-mail: s.dippel at kfa-juelich.de                 |
| HLRZ              | phone : [++49] (2461) 61-2318                   |
| KFA Juelich       | fax   : [++49] (2461) 61-2430                   |
| 52425 Juelich     | WWW   : http://www.hlrz.kfa-juelich.de/~sabine/ |
| Germany           |                                                 |