Karen Allendoerfer ravena at
Tue Nov 26 02:25:36 EST 1996

In article <E1FnBn.L02 at>, wahchan at (Mr. W.Y.
Chan) wrote:

> I do not believe in Japan or any South East Asian countries that it is
> generally acceptable for a married women to include her maiden name after
> she is married and tend to believe it is a practice acceptable to women
> in the West.

There was an article in _Science_ recently about a female physics
professor in Japan who had gotten a legal divorce from her husband, even
though they were happily married, had at least one child, and were still
living together and behaving as if they were married.  She hadn't told her
in-laws about the divorce.  I can't remember all the reasons for this, but
at least some of them involved her desire to keep her professional
identity, including her own name.