recommendation letters/alternate careers

J. Johnson siddo at u.washington.edu
Fri Nov 29 17:02:23 EST 1996

Dear Alice,

Thank you for writing this letter!  It couldn't have been said more
eloquently and it was greatly appreciated!  I have a few comments to add.
You are right, I am still furious.  I think I will always be resentful to
the fact that I should have my PhD.  It really hit me hard on wednesday
when Sarah graduated.  I am so incredibly proud of her - to have endured
for so long and to give the finest defense I have ever seen (chock full of
Sarah's zaniness!).  I feel like I can live vicariously through her
accomplishment; and I have and will support her throughout any aspect of
her career that she choses.

On the other hand, being there at her defense was very difficult for me.
I realized that I should have had my degree and what made me leave was the
negativity and abuse that was  so prevalent in the situation I found
myself.  Granted I proved myself later, as a scientist; but I was a
scientist without my PhD.  I am as capable as a post-doc but do not get
the recognition.  Why?  Because I was screwed by my advisor, my committee
and myself ( for not putting up with the crap and abuse).  Frankly, on
this last point I could not have endured anyway - for I could not exist in
the morally debase environment I was in.  I guess in spite of having
resentment I must keep things in perspective. It is truly a shame that I
was shafted, but I am far better for it (no, that doesn't justify it).  I
am way happier and am finding support in Legal education that I never saw
in the PhD program or in my advisor and other  professors.  Negativity is
a horrible environment to learn in - incredibly counter-productive and
tiring.  Science does not need this attitude, it is pervasive and morally
wrong (I think it ties in to everything from the letter issue to pregnancy
in science).  When, if ever, will it be positive?  I am not sticking
around to find out.

 I also agree with you about how important it is that WOMEN should
support other women in science - but you know?  My two biggest adversaries
were my advisor and the other WOMAN on mt committee!  It is a shame, what
happened to me and countless others (men and women) in this wonderous
field of science.

I always thought that I was entering a field where intellegence and hard
work would allow me to achieve great things.  That idealism was thwarted
by the reality of my graduate experience. Don't feel too bad that I am
going into law - I will still be in science.  But part of me wants to
alleviate the wrongs as well - perhaps that is also a fantasy but maybe
law is the place I should be as a rogue woman.  Thank you for your
support.

Jenn