Women in Science poll responses

The Landy's landyc at cadvision.com
Wed Oct 2 09:59:10 EST 1996

To address the issue of gender in science, I highly recommend reading
the book "The Mismeasure of Women" by Carol Tarvis (1989). It points out
that since fields such as science have been traditionally
male-dominated, the standards of behaviour in these areas are
stereotypically "male". The problem arises when women (and men)are
expected to aspire to this model, regardless of their individual
characteristics. It is harmful and limiting to have such a rigid
standard, both for the individuals and for the field itself. So much
more could be learned if different perspectives were taken into account.

I don't want to suggest, though, that there is a "female" perspective.
Not all women would fit this stereotype, and so it is just as limiting
as the first. Ideally, if science were to become "gender blind", it
would not only keep the traditional standards, but add many equally
acceptable pespectives, based on individuality and not gender.
Unfortunately, though, until this happens many women's actions will be
interpreted as being gender-related.

Cynthia Landy

Cyntia Landy