Babies of graduate students in biology

hcorbett at garnet.berkeley.edu hcorbett at garnet.berkeley.edu
Sun Oct 13 10:59:36 EST 1996

Out of curiosity, how many of you or your colleagues started their families
while still in graduate school? I got married the year after my qualifying
exam and was already one of very few in a large program to be married. It
is a little harder to say for the men, though. I know no one who has had
children before their postdoctoral position (though the majority of my
French colleagues did just that) and I was wondering what your experience
was. Do mention if the parent was a male or female student. It can't be
very easy in either case, though I know it is certainly possible.

Heather