Babies of graduate students in biology

J. Fabian, Ph.D. jfabian at cmp.hmc.psu.edu
Wed Oct 16 09:19:44 EST 1996

In Article <5412o7$cfi at gazette.bcm.tmc.edu>, Sarah L. Pallas
<spallas at bcm.tmc.edu> wrote:

>Does anyone know if these things are ever actually awarded, or was
>creating it something NIH had to create to appear family-friendly?   If
>it really is a supplement to a research grant, then how likely is it that
>you'll get a research grant funded if you've taken time off and not
>published for awhile?  It seems a good idea, but with competition for
>grants being what it is, I wouldn't advise to anyone to take time off and
>count on getting one of these reentry grants.

I was awarded a supplement this september after taking two years off.
The one catch is that the grant supplements an existing NIH grant so
you have to work on a project that is ongoing in a sponsor's laboratory.
So you are not really independent even though you are faculty.  While you
are in the transition period reentering science you are supposed to obtain
your own funding...so I guess I can let you know later if that is at all
possible.  I heard about this supplement program two years ago through
this newsgroup after my wife and I switched child rearing roles.  I don't
know if it is the ideal strategy..but maybe it provides an alternative
for people.  It sure was a lot of fun taking care of the kids for me and
made my wife's life a lot easier.