the NIH 32P poisoning incident/having kids

Ellie Ettehadieh eettehad at ix.netcom.com
Thu Oct 17 00:14:13 EST 1996

In article
<Pine.A32.3.95.961015124651.68967B-100000 at homer09.u.washington.edu>, Sarah
Boomer <sarai at u.washington.edu> wrote:

> I posted awhile ago on the topic of having children in grad. school -
> mentioning the whole case at the NIH where the advisor is alleged to have
> threatened his post-doc, recommending an abortion, etc. when she announced
> that she was pregnant.  The worst allegation, though, remains that he
> intentionally poisoned her with 32P, and then again recommended that, for
> the baby's sake she abort.

Hi Sarah,

I was recently at a meeting in CSL, I met with a scientist who was from NIH
and he said that apparently the supervisor had nothing to do with the
poisoning.  He  was saying that (rummor has it) it was the husband who had
done it because he knew that the baby was going to be a girl and since
chinese nationals can only have one baby he wanted his wife to abort the
girl baby so that they can have a boy.

He seemed pretty sure about this.

Ellie.