so what is a christian evolutionist?

Danielle Montague-Judd montague at geo.Arizona.EDU
Tue Sep 3 12:09:22 EST 1996

Hi all,

After enjoying this newsgroup for over a year only as a reader, I decided
to jump in and comment . . .

I often explain to people that science seeks to explain HOW the world
works, while religion seeks to explain WHY the world exists.  So, for me,
the evolution-creation controversy is unnecessary in the first
place.  The kinds of questions are getting mixed up (creation scientists
seem to specialize in that).

I am pretty used to Biblical literalists questioning my beliefs as a
Christian evolutionist.  I attended Brigham Young Unversity as an
undergrad, and the Mormon church does not have an official stand on
evolution. So, some members (including several of my favorite zoology
profs) wholeheartedly embrace both evolution and divine creation, while
other members take the Creation account literally and feel that the earth
is young, etc. I get some interesting reactions when I tell people that
I'm a paleontologist and a Mormon!  But, for me there is no conflict
between science and my religion.

(p.s.--glad to see that there are other paleontologists in the group!)

Danielle

Danielle Montague-Judd
Dept. of Geosciences
Univ. of Arizona