The best budget laptop?

Tetro Kelly L 4klt5 at qlink.queensu.ca
Tue Sep 3 20:49:06 EST 1996

Hi all!!

I'm looking for some advice in purchasing a laptop computer for my
Ph.D./career work. The laptop appeals in its portability, as I like to
work everywhere but home (where a desktop would reside if I bought one).

I'm in microbiology and would like to run wordprocessing, spreadsheets,
database, graphics etc. Nothing too complex. Do you have a favourite
program that works for Biology? We have Microsoft Office in the lab, but
Excel sucks as a scientific spreadsheet (IMHO, but you adapt to what ya
got). Our department is moving into using laptops for lecturing with the
aid of a projector. Since it will probably be several years (at least 6)
before I am teaching, should I consider the future or go with what I need
in the present?

Also, by budget I mean under $2500 Cdn ($2000 US). Have you bought a
laptop lately that you absolutely love, or one that you would chuck out
the window?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am totally overwhelmed by the many
options and huge range in pricing, and would like to hear the experiences
of real people not salespeople telling me their machine is the best.

Thanks,
Kelly.
4klt5 at qlink.queensu.ca