so what is a christian evolutionist?

Bradley Lab TBLab at uci.edu
Wed Sep 4 12:27:06 EST 1996

Wow!

I never thought I'd see such a polite discussion of creation and
evolution on the net.  I find it encouraging that 1) people exist who
are like me and 2)people exist that don't mind that I'm like me.

I find that being a Christian in evolutionary biology is rather similar
to being a woman in evolutionary biology.  There's rather a lack of role
models, and I cringe every time a Christian/woman is shown as inferior
or wrong.  I suppose everyone has some aspect of themselves that they
find different than that in those around them.

I find that many people in my department have only been exposed to
Christians that are 19 years old and are determined that Creationism is
a science because they've been told by Creation Research Institute that
it is.  I am torn between my natural disinterest in whether the Hebrew
"day" meant a 24-hour day, and my desire to be well-read so that I can
encourage both scientists and Christians that there should be no
conflict.  I'm sure Jesus is rolling his eyes that so much energy should
be wasted on things that have nothing to do with loving God and loving
my neighbor.

I don't want to strain the patience of those looking for the end of this
thread, but I would love further discussion with those interested in
continuing off-group.

Anyone for a jump-off?

Adrienne Williams
Ecology and Evolutionary Biology, UCI