creation in the schools/pseudoscience

JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU JFRUGOLI at BIO.TAMU.EDU
Wed Sep 4 12:14:21 EST 1996

>   This is the kind of "evidence" that gets debated ad nauseum once you
>start talking about "creation science."  It's not the kind of thing I
>would generally want schools wasting their time on, although I think
>some
>kind of training in media scepticism, in this age of "X-files" and
>"Alien
>Autopsy," would be invaluable.
>
>Karen

There was a nice piece on NPR a few months ago about a group, I believe
it was called "The Society for the Investigation of Paranormal
Phenomenon" which, despite the suggestive title, was set up by several
logical thinkers (mathematicians, philosophers, scientits and such) to
critically review such reports as human spontaneous combustion, crop
circles, etc.  They publish a newsletter which sounded like good
reading.  However, the details escape this old brain at the moment.  Can
anyone fill them in?
Julia Frugoli
Dartmouth College

visiting grad student at