The best budget laptop?

S L Forsburg forsburg at salk.edu
Fri Sep 6 11:14:39 EST 1996

Sarah L. Pallas wrote:

>As for Mac
> software, Word is clearly written for the PC and isn't optimal on a Mac.
> I prefer WordPerfect.  I use Excel for spreadsheets, Kaleidagraph (better
> than Cricket) for graphs, Canvas for graphics, EndNote for bibiography
> generation, and StatView for statistics.  You'll need Norton Utilities,
> SAM virus protector, and StuffIt Deluxe for file compression.

I'm a word user on the desktop Mac (MS WOrd 5.1 is fine;  no WAY
will I upgrade) but my Powerbook carries WriteNow.  It is cheap,
it is lean, it is fully functional AND the whole thing fits onto a
floppy. So much for software bloat.  It also opens and maintains
formatting of other program documents.  ANd it is very intuitive
to use.  Other than that, I pretty much agree with Sarah.

--susan, lab computer maven and webmeister ;-)

--
Susan L Forsburg PhD
MBVL, The Salk Institute
forsburg at salk.edu