The best budget laptop?

Bharathi Jagadeesh bjag at cog.nimh.nih.gov
Fri Sep 6 23:38:06 EST 1996

S L Forsburg (forsburg at salk.edu) wrote:
: Sarah L. Pallas wrote:
: >
: >As for Mac
: > software, Word is clearly written for the PC and isn't optimal on a Mac.
: > I prefer WordPerfect.  I use Excel for spreadsheets, Kaleidagraph (better
: > than Cricket) for graphs, Canvas for graphics, EndNote for bibiography
: > generation, and StatView for statistics.  You'll need Norton Utilities,
: > SAM virus protector, and StuffIt Deluxe for file compression.

: I'm a word user on the desktop Mac (MS WOrd 5.1 is fine;  no WAY
: will I upgrade) but my Powerbook carries WriteNow.  It is cheap,
: it is lean, it is fully functional AND the whole thing fits onto a
: floppy.

OK, I'm officially jealous of all of you who have PowerBooks. Are
we all Mac users? (I write this wearing Apple Forever t-shirt that
Apple Computer sent me)

Here are a couple of programs that haven't been mentioned: MacDraw/Claris
Draw for final manipulations of slides and figures, Igor for scientific
graphing and analysis (it has a fairly steep learning curve, but
does things that he other programs don't do). DeltaGraph for graphing
(not a scientific graphing program, but it has a nice interface).

I've been pricing Apple PowerBooks, and the 5300c (100 MHz 603 chip, 8 MB
memory, active matrix color screen--though not top of the line) is
$2300 through the government vendor. I've heard that 5300c's are nearly
unvailable, though (not enough computers to meet the demand).

Bharathi Jagadeesh/bjag at ln.nimh.nih.gov

Lab of Neuropsychology
NIMH
Building 49, Room 1b80