grant crunch and grad. students

Rae Nishi nishir at ohsu.edu
Fri Sep 13 16:52:13 EST 1996

So far, we've been pretty lucky in that none of our students have had
to leave due to loss of support.  When we had faculty lose a research
grant the dept was able to pick up the student's stipend (knock on
wood).  'Course this can't continue if more than 3 faculty with grad
students at a time lose their grants.  An advisor who really cares
about their students will also try to make sure they are supported.
When it seemed like I would lose my NIH grant, I let my research asst
go 4 mos before the grant ran out so that I could save money for my
students (I also begged for money from my Chair to cover them;  I was
also doing alot of wishful thinking that my grant would get funded
after one resubmission).

Rae Nishi, PhD
Associate Professor
Dept. Cell & Developmental Biology